Monday, October 13, 2008

Black + Orange

Ankeny Wildlife Refuge
2301 Wintel Rd
Jefferson, OR 97352

While visiting the refuge to see what the migrating goose population looked like, I spotted this little creeper moving in the rough. I bet its spiny hair keeps it from getting gobbled up by the resident ducks and herons. Woolly Bear caterpillars, according to the Farmer's Almanac, are told to be able to predict the length and severity of the coming winter. The length of the middle band of color and the 'woolliness' of its coat determine seasonal conditions. Judging by this one, we need to prepare for a long, cold winter. Coincidentally, black & orange are the local high school's colors. Go Olys! The refuge harbors about 10% of the migrating dusky geese for the winter. There were several hundred geese with more to come in the next few weeks. I live only a fifteen minute drive away, so I get to bird watch and shoot pix regularly.

2 comments:

slim said...

Thanks for this post. I learned so much from it. I guess I'll stock up on fleece.

Ken said...

I've seen quite a few black and orange caterpillars this year. Nice close up!